Home
Credits
Links
RSS News
Share
Contact

 

    Return to...
The ExpeditionYellowstone River ReturnPompy's TowerGraffiti
Preservers
Medicine
 

Hailing Heroes

This bronze plaque, erected by the local chapter of the DAR, reads:

Pompeys Pillar, dedicated and named by William Clark of the Lewis and Clark Expedition, July 25, 1806. With Clark, returning down the Yellowstone were Pryor, Shannon, Bratton, Windsor, Hall, Shields, Gibson, Labiche, Carbonneau, Sacagawea, and child, York the slave. In gratitude to Lewis and Clark, those intrepid leaders, to Sacagawea, their unerring guide, and to the fidelity and courage of all the company, this tablet is dedicated by Shining Mountain Chapter, Daughters of the American revolution, Billings, Montana, May 24, 1928.

he national society of Daughters of the American Revolution was founded in 1890 with three objectives: "to perpetuate the memory and spirit of the men and women who achieved American Independence"; to promote, as George Washington urged Americans in his farewell address as president, "...institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge, thus developing an enlightened public opinion;" and "to cherish, maintain and extend the institutions of American freedom, to foster true patriotism and love of country, and to aid in securing for mankind all the blessings of liberty."

From its beginnings the DAR established leadership in the development of historic preservation in the U.S., largely by erecting memorials such as this.

--Joseph Mussulman

Preservers
Medicine


 
From Discovering Lewis & Clark ®, http://www.lewis-clark.org © 1998-2014
by The Lewis and Clark Fort Mandan Foundation, Washburn, North Dakota.
Journal excerpts are from The Journals of the Lewis and Clark Expedition, edited by Gary E. Moulton
13 vols. (Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, 1983-2001)