Lewis & Clark River
View upriver (southward) from the canoe landing at Fort Clatsop
J. Agee photo
he explorers called this river by its Clatsop Indian name, Netul; it has since been renamed the Lewis and Clark River. It flows into the bay west of Astoria, which Clark named Meriwether's Bay. Today the bay bears the name Youngs Bay, given in 1792 by Lieutenant William Broughton, of George Vancouver's expedition, in honor of a prominent British naval officer.
Dredging and commercial operations over the past 200 years have considerably altered the waterscape. The pilings in the background were installed early in the twentieth century to hold rafts of logs ready for towing to riverside mills.