Home
Credits
Links
RSS News
Share
Contact

 

    Return to...
The ExpeditionDiscovering Lewis & Clark from the Air
82. Snake River near the Palou
84. Columbia River near Blaloc
 

83.Confluence, Snake and Columbia Rivers

(view northwest, up the Columbia)

Snake and Columbia Rivers

Welcoming Fanfare

n the afternoon of 16 October 1805, the expedition portaged aroud "the last bad rapid as the Indians Sign to us"—the last on the Snake River, that is—and soon arrived at the "Great River of the West," the Columbia.

They camped on the point between the Columbia (left) and Snake Rivers, about where the grove shading Sacajawea State Park in Pasco, Washington (upper right), now stands. Kennewick is on the left in the picture. On the bottom right is McNary National Wildlife Refuge and the town of Burbank.

"The Country around these forks is level Smooth plain," wrote Ordway, "not a tree to be Seen as far as our Eyes could extend." Clark measured the width of the Snake at 575 yards, the Columbia at 960 and three-quarters. Since 1953 McNary Dam, thirty-two miles down the Columbia from here, has broadened the confluence into Lake Walula.

The Indians—Yakamas and Wanapams—considerately kept their distance until the Corps had finished setting up camp. Then "a Chief came from their Camp . . . at the head of about 200 men Singing and beeting on their drums . . . and keeping time to the musik, they formed a half circle around us and Sung for Some time," Clark reported. Afterward, he added, "the 2 old Chiefs who accompanied us from the head of the river procured us Some fuil such as the Stalks of weed or plant and willow bushes," and one man "made me a present of...about 20 lb. of verry fat Dried horse meat," all exceptionally magnanimous gestures.

From Discovering Lewis & Clark from the Air
Photography by Jim Wark
Text by Joseph Mussulman
Reproduced by permission of Mountain Press.

82. Snake River near the Palou
84. Columbia River near Blaloc


 
From Discovering Lewis & Clark ®, http://www.lewis-clark.org © 1998-2014
by The Lewis and Clark Fort Mandan Foundation, Washburn, North Dakota.
Journal excerpts are from The Journals of the Lewis and Clark Expedition, edited by Gary E. Moulton
13 vols. (Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, 1983-2001)