RSS News


    Return to...
The ExpeditionBitterroot Barrier: K'useyneiskitClark's Maps of K'useyneiskit
Ordway's Camp, May 27, 1806
Fishery on the Snake, May 29,

Deer Creek, May 28, 1806

"A bad hill"View North

Deer Creek

ordway had little to say about the day's events on May 28, except that "towards evening we descended a bad hill down on a creek, followed it down Some distance and arived at a village where we camped." It is believed that they followed a route down the ridge at left of Deer Creek, and that the village was somewhere above the Salmon River (bottom of photo). Apparently the the salmon had not yet arrived in this part of the river.

Aerial photographs by Jim Wark, using waypoints recommended by Steve L. Russell.
Funded in part by a grant from the Idaho Governor's Lewis and Clark Trail Committee.

Ordway's Camp, May 27, 1806
Fishery on the Snake, May 29,

From Discovering Lewis & Clark ®, http://www.lewis-clark.org © 1998-2014
by The Lewis and Clark Fort Mandan Foundation, Washburn, North Dakota.
Journal excerpts are from The Journals of the Lewis and Clark Expedition, edited by Gary E. Moulton
13 vols. (Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, 1983-2001)